D600 vs D800

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,083Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 vs D800
In reply to f8BeThereToo, Apr 6, 2013

I had been planning on buying a new D700 but I didn't know that it was discontinued...

You can still buy a D700 from the used market.

Now I am wondering if my older FX prime and 2.8 zoom lenses from my film days are going to be OK with the higher-resolution sensors. I am not inclined to replace lenses that are in excellent condition with the current expensive replacements...

They'll be absolutely fine. With regards to image quality, you never lose anything by going to a higher resolution sensor, as long as image noise (looking at the whole image) doesn't increase. The D800 and D600 sensors are remarkable in that they offer lower overall noise than the D700 sensor at all sensitivities, and pretty much match the D4's sensor up to ISO 6400 while offering more resolution.

You might not gain anything with really bad lenses, but you won't be losing anything. Actually, f/2.8 zoom lenses and prime lenses sound pretty good. In terms of image quality, you usually can't go wrong with those lenses. By bad lenses, I mean something like slow variable aperture superzooms used wide open, at the extremes of the zoom range.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow