LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,725
Like?
Re: LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?
In reply to Mikedigi, Apr 6, 2013

Mikedigi wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

I own the LX7 and tried the RX100 for about 1 week last year.  Strictly on IQ, the RX100 is better than the LX7.  however, for the price, the LX7 IQ is great and that f1.4 lens is a jewel and allows you to shoot at lower ISOs than with the RX100.

I recently bought both an LX7 and a Canon S-100 to see for myself what all the fuss with "larger sensor" is about.

My regular camera is a Panasonic ZS19.

I haven't had the time to do a real evaluation, but preliminary checks show me no particular advantage for the larger sensor - much to my surprise! The ZS19 produces just as good shots in my daily use.

Thanks Dale - lens speed is a good point in favour of the LX7, I should have included that in my extract from the specs.

Mike

The LX7 is far too big to carry in a trouser pocket. The S-100 is cute and small. Neither have much in the way of zoom. Both the LX7 & the S-100 have wider apertures, but as I rarely shoot in "Low Light" and I have Topaz DeNoise if that should be a problem, that doesn't mean much to me at all.

Interestingly, both of these wider-aperture cameras, LX7 & S-100 have built-in ND filters so one can shoot wide open in daylight without severely over-exposing. Seems backwards to me. 

I do intend to produce a real comparison test, with pictures, for the forum but up to now, I can't say I'm impressed with larger sensor as a criterion. I will probably be selling both of these cameras.

I have never even SEEN an RX100, so I have no opinion there except to say that it would have to be awfully good to get me to accept such limited zoom range.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow