David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,451Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800 resolving power
In reply to John Sheehy, Apr 6, 2013

John Sheehy wrote:

technic wrote:

David Hull wrote:

But did you really need DxO to tell you this? I doubt it. The thing that I find surprising is how many people seem to be surprised to figure out that if you want to get the most out of a good imaging system, you have to use a good lens.

yes, plus the best technique (optimal settings, AF calibration, chosing best photo conditions etc.) - which may be even more of a limiting factor on average, and something DXO can tell us very little about ...

It's amazing how so many people evaluate the value of pixel count or OLPFs based on the lowest common denominators.  In another thread in a Nikon Forum, someone offered proof that the D7100 has no "false detail" due to the lack of an AA filter, by showing a shot of an owl's face at 1/200 with 700mm including a TC, with possible twitching of the owl and/or a breeze, to which I asked what would happen with the new Sigma 35mm/1.4 at f/2 and 1/4000 shooting city skylines with repeating architectural patterns.

I think that a lot of people who get excited about pulling off the OLPF don’t really understand why it's there -- outside of "it reduces aliasing" (but I don’t think that they necessarily understand what "aliasing" really is). On the other hand, at some point as the pixel pitch gets fine enough, given the diffraction and the MTF of the lenses, the OLPF should not be needed. Any opinion as to what pixel density that might be? From the MTF perspective it would depend on the quality of the lens but the diffraction is only dependent on the pixel pitch and the widest aperture.

I seem to remember you making some coment about this in the past.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow