Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikael Risedal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,021
Like?
Re: Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800 resolving power
In reply to John Sheehy, Apr 6, 2013

John Sheehy wrote:

Hans Kruse wrote:

See this http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Which-lenses-should-you-choose-for-your-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs.-Nikon-D800-Competition-is-closer-than-expected

I have both the 5D mkIII with the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II and 70-200 f/2.8L IS II (and more) and the D800E with the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VRII. To my eyes there is little to distinguish the resolution between the 5D III with the 70-200 and the D800E with the 70-200.

Either the Nikon 70-200 is not nearly as sharp, or the test was bungled.  There is no way that a 70-200 as sharp as Canon's 2.8L IS II would perform only as "good" as the Canon combo, especially since the D800 is the E model without an AA filter.  The Canon lens is pixel-sharp on a 7D with much smaller pixels, even with a 2x TC.

I put "good" in quotes because I think that using MPs as a unit of resolution is absurd, as is considering aliasing to be "resolution".

The d800 and d800E needs careful sharpening, the 5dmk cameras has higher internal default sharpening than Nikon

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow