Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,458Gear list
Like?
Re: Contituation of the Versatility thread
In reply to olliess, Apr 6, 2013

olliess wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

OMD is weatherseald and has IBIS, the others over here do not have it. OMD has a tiltable touchscreen, no touchscreen on the Sony. The IBIS of the Oly also works in video and demonstrably much better than any in lens stabilisation. I do not own one, but that is the truth. So the Oly is more expensive indeed but it does offer some advantages that make any cam more expensive, not just some gadgets.

First off we were talking about high-ISO performance of the OM-D vs. all other cameras at the same price range, and I pointed out that the OM-D doesn't quite match the NEX-6 or the D7000, which are both slightly cheaper.

The interpretation of noise can be subjective but in my opinion the OM-D compares to all the others but the 5D MK II.

As to your other points, the D7000 is also weathersealed to some degree, although it's unclear how well, and no manufacturers guarantee their cameras in the weather anyway. The NEX cameras, as you know, are not. The IBIS is a plus for the Olympus bodies, although the kit lenses for the other two are stabilized. It is my understanding that the IBIS is good for video and for certain motions (esp. rolling) but at the long tele end the in-lens systems may be better. OM-D does have the tillable touch screen; variants of this feature are available on lesser Sony and Nikon cameras, but this combination is not on the NEX-6 and D7000. So yes, of course there are pluses and minuses to the system.

FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow