Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,400Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 vs D800
In reply to RhysM, Apr 6, 2013

RhysM wrote:

24 vs 36 megapixels - i'm thinking not really relevant as 24 is more than enough and on the rare occasion you may want to print a huge canvas you can simply buy something like genuine fractals and upsize.

36 MP gives a little more freedom to crop.

39 vs 51 AF points - from what i gather this is an issue if you shoot in very low indoor light, but if you believe what is circulating on the internet the new firmware has improved this.

The sensitivity of the sensors is not related to their number. The AF module covers a little more of the viewfinder.

Also the AF-C 3D or full auto works with the RGB sensor: obviously the D800 is more reliable in this area due to its most sophisticated sensor.

Incidentally you forgot metering in your list of differences.

1/4000th max shutter speed - The D700 has 1/8000 with base ISO of 200 and no one complained about that,

No one is an overstatement. But granted complains were far and between.

so i can't see the D600 having 1/4000 with ISO 100 base being a problem as it's effectively the same thing.

It matters if you use on occasions fast primes wide opened in bright day light.

1/200 flash sync - I doubt the average photographer who fits within the above category would ever be caused a problem by the 1/50 reduction.

I beg to differ as it's easy to hit the 1/200 limit.

Magnesium front plate - i don't think many people will be hanging any HUGE lenses off their D800 nor subjecting the body to a lot of "professional" physical abuse.

Yes

Thoughts?

There are other differences. For instance the shortcut to 100% magnification under the AF point by the push of a single button is very useful on the D800. The D800 has an integrated screen to black out the light from behind when the camera is on a triped, etc. On the other end the D600 has useful customization bank settings.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow