Aperature or Lightroom?

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions thread
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,161Gear list
Like?
Re: Patience, Grasshopper.
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 6, 2013

bravozulu wrote:

Thanks, AlphaDoug. And sorry to make you repeat some features you presented a few months back.

I am not married to the idea of PhotoMechanic. As an image browswer, it seemed to mimic my 35 years with film by presenting related images as "contact sheets". At work in publication companies, I typically would review up to a thousand images grouped on contact sheets of film negatives.

So, it is seems to help my 'recognition' and sorting patterns. If the Aperture 'projects' concept replicates this aspect of PhotoMechanic, then I'm prepared to simplify things with one less application.

If you are familiar with sorting and reviewing images in the way we did with film or slides, you will love Aperture.  Aperture actually has a "Light Table" function that allows you to place images on a virtual light table and increase or decrease their size and slide them around for mixing and matching.  I actually don't use this as it doesn't seem to have any real beneficial use.  In Aperture also, you have the ability to "stack" images, much as you would have with slides, with just the "pick" of the stack showing on top.  So many of the film photography memes are supported.  Reviewing images in a multi-image "browser" (called the Viewer in Aperture) is simple.  And organizing images as to how they relate to each other is simple, if you keyword the images, or rate them, or whatever is appropriate to your workflow.  When you get your new Mac, and a copy of Aperture, and the Apple Official Training book for Aperture, all will be revealed.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow