Recommend an inexpensive fast MF portrait prime for NEX ?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions thread
RGBaker
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommend an inexpensive fast MF portrait prime for NEX ?
In reply to Amamba, Apr 6, 2013

Amamba wrote:

Thanks !

How do they compare to Olympus OM 50/1.8 ?

I don't have the Olympus, but I do have the Nikkor & Canon 1.4, and I've used the Rokkor and Takumar M 1.4 lenses.  The difference between them are very subtle -- where one may be called 'cool' and another 'warm' ... we are talking the most minor of variances.  More important, IMHO, is which lens falls most naturally to your hand. 
I'm partial to the Canon FDn lenses -- they are a little lighter and smaller than their 'breech lock' elders, with all the sharpness and warmth I like about both series.  The Nikkor is maybe a touch more clinically cool -- the Rokkor too seemed just a little 'blue'.  The Takumar seems a great little lens, close to the Zuiko in size I think, but I haven't shot enough with it to have a sense for the image rendering.

Any of the above can be had for under $100, sometimes a whole lot under.  Buy and try, my advice.
See my Flickr stream for a few examples of the Canon 50/1.4 --
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffbaker/sets/72157632176621287/

Cheers,
GB

RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow