Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
alabaster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400Gear list
Like?
Re: I doubt you will see Olympus versions
In reply to Marty4650, Apr 6, 2013

Marty4650 wrote:

I'd love to see Olympus try their hand at making a 12-35mm or 35-100mm MZuiko lenses, but I doubt it will ever happen. There is no doubt that these would very expensive but outstanding lenses, that were shipped without lens hoods. But even without the lens hood, they would be very desirable lenses which would probably be optically excellent.

The reason I say Olympus will probably not create these lenses is because the market for high end lenses is very small, and it would result in both companies dividing a very small pie between them.

The market for M4/3 itself is pretty small, and it becomes even smaller at the high end of the scale. This makes economies of scale very hard to get, and drives costs even higher. (Low volume could also explain why the Fuji MILC cameras and lenses are also very expensive.)

If you look at the M4/3 lenses that already exist you will see that there is very little duplication of  focal lengths beyond the most popular ones.

Both Panasonic and Olympus make the same kit lenses, and both offer a 10X zoom lens, and a telephoto zoom lens, but:

• Olympus does not have a 25mm f/1.4 lens
  • Panasonic does not have a fast 45mm or 75mm prime lens
  • Panasonic has an 8mm fisheye lens
  • Panasonic has a 7-14mm lens, so there is no point in Olympus creating one
  • Panasonic is planning a fast 150mm lens. Sound familiar?
The interesting thing here is that Panasonic seems to be recreating the legendary Olympus 4/3 lenses in the new format, while Olympus is focusing on small fast prime lenses that 4/3 never had.

Very nicely summarised and argued.

It doesn't mean that an Oly fast normal zoom won't appear sometime tho. The trend might change from your observed one, especially if MFT gains traction, as I suspect it is.

-- hide signature --
 alabaster's gear list:alabaster's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow