Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vland
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Lenses for a D7100 with this budget?
Apr 6, 2013

I got about $1000-$1300 for lenses and a flash if I decide to get one.

Literally have nothing but extra accessories; former Canon user, and that stuff is going to a family member anyway.

Mostly be doing:

• Hiking
  • Landscapes and historical sites
  • Group shots and portraits
  • Every day stuff (nothing specific, just whatever I happen to see wherever I happen to go)
  • Real estate photography (more as a favor for my father, who's using a D40, kit lens and built-in flash)

Was thinking definitely a Tokina 11-16mm Pro DX II ($650-$700) and trying to decide between:

• Nikon 35mm 1.8G: $230
  • Nikon 50mm 1.8G: $220
  • Nikon 85mm 1.8G: $400
  • Nikon 18-105mm: $300 (if I buy the D7100 as a kit)
  • SB-700: $330

Only mention the 85mm 1.8G because I purchased one before the $100 rebate expired back when I had a different plan and budget for what I was trying to do; it's unopened so probably going to return it. Fear 85mm might be a little long for most of what I do, except portraits.

The 18-105 seems like a decent option for everyday stuff considering it only costs $300; like primes and would like at least one, but there would go my budget with no room for a flash.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or recommendations for other lenses. Can always add more stuff at some point down the line. Thanks!

Nikon D40 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow