Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,901Gear list
Like?
Tried 1440mm equivalent just now......
In reply to FrankParis, Apr 5, 2013

FrankParis wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

The E-PL5 with 45-150mm OIS enabled makes live view at tele rather nice and smooth to frame, the jitter is all gone.

Presumably you turn off IBIS in the E-PL5 when you do this.

Possibly counter-intuitively you need to turn ON the IBIS in the E-PL5 to enable the Lens IS Priority. When it detects an OIS lens then the E-PL5 turns off the IBIS internally (invisibly to the user) and uses the lens OIS instead. If you turn off IBIS then you get no stabilisation at all from body or lens.

I achieve the same thing with all Olympus equipment, the E-M5 and the 75-300mm II, at 300mm, with IBIS enabled and the "Half Way RLS with IS" setting on. But this doesn't help overcome motion blur if your hand shake exceeds the 4 or 5 stop advantage E-M5 IBIS gives you. It just helps you frame your subject the way you want. Your hand-held technique still has to be as steady as a tripod to achieve the same IQ. The vast majority of humans can't achieve this, regardless of age. So tripods will always sell briskly for the vast majority of humans looking for razor sharp images.

The better IBIS of the E-M5 compared to the Pens makes the use of OIS largely irrelevant. Though some say at 300mm the Pana OIS seems to be better than the E-M5 IBIS , true? = dunno.

As for tripods, if anyone is really serious about good quality images and not just a take-a-chance happy-snapper like me, then a heavy tripod is a must. The 2 seconds anti-shock seems to be all that is needed to overcome the usual motion shake when the shutter is pressed on a heavy tripod, maybe longer delay like 4 seconds needed for a light weight tripod.

Just for fun I right now tried that Nikon 180/2.8 and 2x tele converter plus 2x digital teleconverter for 1440mm equivalent. No samples to show as it is a grey day and the target 2.4 km away was half mist shrouded but I surprised myself that though the preview was rather wobbly I did get "successful" results standing hand-held. Will know more when the sun decides to shine and can try a range of shutter speeds and distances. Had IBIS on but could only set it to 1000mm and it seemed to be working just fine at 1/320 sec with my setup.....

Not a thing I'd go walking with but maybe more likely to try and catch birds in the backyard with.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow