Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photosbygar
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?
Very Happy with K5
Apr 5, 2013

Each year for the past several years I have gone to my favourite eagles nest outside Kamloops, British Columbia, by the South Thompson River. The same nesting pair (Gertrude and Heathcliff) have been there each time. Last year I got pretty good shots of them with my K-r and Sigma 170-500, and they were quite close - several good BIF shots.They are posted on my website at http://www.photosbygar.com in the 'Animals' gallery.

This year I had my K5 and the Sigma. I couldn't get as close to them as they kept moving away from me. Probably no eggs in the nest this time as in the past they have buzzed me to try to keep me away, hence the good BIF shots. The closest I could get was this, with the Sigma at 500mm:

Heathcliff

I was very pleasantly surprised on getting home and pulling this up in Lightroom that there was lots of detail and with several tweaks of exposure, clarity and sharpening, this was the result of about a 75% or more crop:

Heathcliff up close

I put this down to the better resolving power of the K5 over the K-r. Just more data to work with. Shot in TAV, 1/800, f6.7 (minimum aperture for the Sigma is f6.3, so almost wide open), ISO 200. Quasi handheld - I had my tripod but the legs were together so I used it as a monopod. This image doesn't show as good as it is downsized for the net. The full TIFF file looks way better, but I hope you get the idea.

I was shooting in Continuous both shutter and focus. The camera tracked these birds through trees, staying locked on. A very satisfying experience. I envy those with the Sigma 500 F4.5, as I am sure this shot would be twice as good.

Thanks for looking.

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow