Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,076Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 vs D800
In reply to RhysM, Apr 5, 2013

RhysM wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

RhysM wrote:

Ok so we all know the spec differences between the two cameras but i'm wondering how much they matter to someone who doesn't shoot a lot of sport/action but simply wants a very good camera to capture family events, holidays, etc in superb quality.

Given the requirements listed above I'd go with a D7100 and the best glass, or a used D700.

Even a D5100 does a fantastic job for family stuff. Come to think of it, so does a D40.

In my experience, most people buy a D800 and really have no use of it's strengths. Probably not the answer you want if you're looking to buy a gee-wiz DSLR.

Cheers,

Robert

A large majority of family events are indoor, i would say that a DX camera's extra reach is irrelevant an the better high ISO of the FX format is a big advantage. Don't really see the D7100 being ideal.

Nonsense.

My wife's D7000 is an ideal family camera, fantastic indoors via the high ISO. There are plenty of great lens choices as well.

But I'd use the D5200 for family duty. It's compact, tons of resolution, great AF and just a great all-around cam.

I often use my P7700 for family stuff over the DSLRs I have.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow