7D - Grain and Noise - What are the primary factors?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,385Gear list
Like?
Can you explain further?
In reply to tonyjr, Apr 5, 2013

tonyjr wrote:

1st - I do a -1 [ underexposed ] [ raw + jpeg ]

Huh?  Care to explain why?  Underexposure brings out additional noise rather than helping suppress it.  Why on earth would you want to intentionally underexpose a shot to control noise, or did I miss your point here entirely?

2nd - grain and noise on a 5 X 7 is probably the printer and / or ink .

I do a test shot [ print ] of a picture someone wants 1st to stir up ink . If your paper is in the printer face up , dust settles on it . Cheap ink separates easier / faster . Grain and noise can be paper , ink , temperature , time between prints , even a low battery in camera [ like almost dead ] dirt on flash , even reflections .

Banding can be the light pulsing .

Umm, pretty doubtful unless it's a single band where you just happen to catch a fluorescent light in mid pulse.  What sort of pulsing can cause banding?  A more likely cause of banding (usually in very dark areas of an image) is again, underexposing the shot and then aggressively increasing the exposure setting during PP to compensate.

I would say if grain and noise are showing up in a non - cropped image - you are shooting dull shots or who ever is checking is looking for problems , not the subject of shot .

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow