D600 vs D800

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Photographysnapped
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 vs D800
In reply to RhysM, Apr 5, 2013

RhysM wrote:

Ok so we all know the spec differences between the two cameras but i'm wondering how much they matter to someone who doesn't shoot a lot of sport/action but simply wants a very good camera to capture family events, holidays, etc in superb quality.

Ok so... (glass half full, leaving out the dust/left focus issues, assuming you get a good unit)

24 vs 36 megapixels - i'm thinking not really relevant as 24 is more than enough and on the rare occasion you may want to print a huge canvas you can simply buy something like genuine fractals and upsize.

24 is enough even 12 was enough, but lots of photographers do a lot of post processing and cropping so D800 with 36MP would be the camera for me

39 vs 51 AF points - from what i gather this is an issue if you shoot in very low indoor light, but if you believe what is circulating on the internet the new firmware has improved this.

39 is ok but the problem with the D600 the 39 points its bunch up in the middle

1/4000th max shutter speed - The D700 has 1/8000 with base ISO of 200 and no one complained about that, so i can't see the D600 having 1/4000 with ISO 100 base being a problem as it's effectively the same thing.

not really a problem you can use a filter

1/200 flash sync - I doubt the average photographer who fits within the above category would ever be caused a problem by the 1/50 reduction.

i dont use flash to much

Magnesium front plate - i don't think many people will be hanging any HUGE lenses off their D800 nor subjecting the body to a lot of "professional" physical abuse.

I have a 70-200 vr2 and I think its a heavy lens, I rather be sure than sorry

Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Ray

Photographysnapped's gear list:Photographysnapped's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow