Hand-holding the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II near 300mm

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
Re: I think trying to shoot 600mm FF equivalent FOV.....
In reply to illy, Apr 5, 2013

illy wrote:

tedolf wrote:

hand held with any camera is going to be problematic.

I think 300mm FF equivalent FOV is about as much as most people are going to be able to hand hold succesfully on a regular basis.

Tedolph

long telephoto is all about technique for handholding, if people put the effort in it's surprising how you can get steadier and steadier, i prefer a heavier rig for this kind of shooting as it tends to be less jittery

The scientific reason for that is understandable in terms of inertia. As I've written before on this forum, below a certain point in camera mass (e.g. the smaller the camera), a tripod is the more necessary. But this works in the opposite direction as well. Few individuals could hand-hold the Hubble Telescope and get sharp images, regardless of the level of illumination. You'd have to put it on a (suitably robust) tripod, or stick it in outer space.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow