Hand-holding the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II near 300mm

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,419Gear list
Like?
Well, I think it can be done.....
In reply to tedolf, Apr 5, 2013

tedolf wrote:

hand held with any camera is going to be problematic.

I think 300mm FF equivalent FOV is about as much as most people are going to be able to hand hold succesfully on a regular basis.

Tedolph

Well, no 300mm lens but the Pana 45-150mm at 150mm on E-PL5 with the OIS enabled and the 2x digital tele converter enabled allowed me last night across a dim room to consistently get a high proportion of shake free shots at around 1/15 and 1/20 sec - so out in the daylight with much faster shutter speeds should improve the maybe 70% success rate to nearer 90% success rate. (90% success is about reality for all shutter speeds I have found, there's always a random shake intruding even at the fastest shutter speeds on occasion).

So for me that 600mm equivalent effort worked fine and am looking forward to next after Christmas Aussie discount period to get the rather nice Mk2 Oly 75-300mm, and then of course try the 2x digital teleconverter to see if I can manage to hand-hold 1200mm equivalent.

Tedolph, you need to realise that people are different, some can hand-hold successfully, others can't.  Your blanket "problematic" is proved wrong by many people who seem to have no problem with that focal length.

Aside..... Hells bells, some of us have even found a better camera than the E-PL1 (hint, = E-PL5).

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow