Aperature or Lightroom?

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions thread
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,151Gear list
Like?
Re: Patience, Grasshopper.
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 5, 2013

bravozulu wrote:

Thanks, Majik. When people begin comparing the 2 programs and talk about User Interface or Modal Processes, it all goes right over my head.

I was told that Aperture started out by Apple hiring a bunch of well-known photographers to brainstorm and to chart out needed features. That alone is comforting. But beyond being a Mac user at home and work since 1987, the OS and interface of Apple programs is familiar.

This will be repeating questions I posed here 2 months ago, but the Lightroom database system of filing images scares me off. Perhaps necessary, so that original files go untouched and sequential edited files can be accessed.

I don't want that. I want a hierarchical file structure that I design. And then I'll use PhotoMechanic to upload images from my SD card, and do quick renaming, tagging, keywording and other Metadata tricks in bulk. That just appeals to me.

Aperture will do most of what I need. Responders to my earlier questions satisfied my concern for a few features:  good shadow retention/recovery, lens distortion correction, HDR. Somewhere in there would the need for Raw conversion of Nikon files. So it seems a few plug-ins will be needed along the workflow. The names suggested were PhotoNinja, DxO, NIK, and so on.

I'm resigned to that need and expect to pay a little more for it. And like you I was excited to learn about the hiring of the Adobe exec into the Apple workforce. Adobe + Apple? What could it mean other than better imaging software? Even an Apple DSLR camera? A car that runs on Cold Fusion energy?

Bravozulu,

For some reason, you seem to continue to misunderstand whether Aperture can do a simple hierarchical folder stack.  Using PhotoMechanic to add metadata and place images in folders, is simply an additional irrelevant step that is NOT necessary.  How, for instance, would you get your images into Aperture to work with them if you do not import them? And how does Photo Mechanic get images to work with if it doesn't "import" them.  Simply a matter of semantics.  Think of it this way.  Both LR and Aperture use a simple one screen display to let you choose the images you want to "catalogue" (a hierarchical folder stack is a method of "cataloging" some images so you know where they are) and they let you rename images on import along with adding keywords and metadata or even basic edit presets.  LR "imports" the images into a familiar folder stack, and it can be anywhere on your internal or external disks.  Aperture does the same thing, but it gives you two different options.  1.  If you choose the internal Library model, it imports the images into folders, but hidden inside a Unix package, which has some esoteric benefits, but probably scares most folks., or 2. You can choose an external "referenced" library, which works the same way as LR or Photo Mechanic or any other Library management program.  Can be on either the internal or external drives.  Aperture calls the basic or "root" folders, "Projects".  This is just a simple semantic way to "group" images that sort of "belong" together in one Folder.  You can group many Projects into a top level Folder for organization, or you can add Albums (like Playlists) inside Projects to automatically grab certain images based on metadata, or you can create these manually.

This is the most simple and powerful way to organize your images, and if you would just sit down with the program when you get your new Mac (been several months now), and work with it to see how it works, I think you would be quite impressed.  Don't just reject it or try to work out some overly complex method that serves no purpose except to separate you from your money.

Also, if for some completely nuts reason, Apple never updates Aperture, it still would do exactly what it does for some very long time into the future.  But I can't imagine that happening.  It might morph into something better along the way though.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow