Contituation of the Versatility thread

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,457Gear list
Like?
Re: Versatile != only 'small'
In reply to moving_comfort, Apr 5, 2013

moving_comfort wrote:

My E-PL5 is the perfect balance of size, cost and power. Small enough to go anywhere like my iphone 4. Cheap enough to leave on the beach as I swim. Powerful enough not to miss my DSLRs when I am using it.

Sure -  for you.  The whole point of my post was that I love the small size, the reduced cost, etc, etc as well, but I get let down when I review the images later.  This reduces the effectiveness of the small-versatility I enjoyed while taking the shots and puts a damper on the experience.

I'm not sure what your expectations are but I don't feel let down when reviewing any of my photos from any camera with exception to my iPhone. The iPhone does't cut it in many situations.

As it stands, my two main cameras are the D800 and the iphone4.  Absolutely no mirrorless/m43 camera can match the iphone's ubiquitous nature, and no mirrorless/m43 camera can match the D800's IQ and performance power.  Trying to have a little of both with something like an OM-D has been an exercise in disappointment for me.

Not many DSLRs can match the D800's IQ. The D7100 maybe better for burds but as far as IQ and Pixel count goes the D800 is among the best period. BUT it is clearly not the most versatile. You couldn't strap one to your helmet and jump out of a plane, leave it on the beach without it walking off or fit it in your pocket.

That said, there's no accounting for simple gear lust.  I may end up with a kit anyway and think of the use cases later.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow