FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,457Gear list
Like?
Re: Versatile != only 'small'
In reply to moving_comfort, Apr 5, 2013

moving_comfort wrote:

FoolyCooly wrote:

moving_comfort wrote:

I have some real tangible undeniable gear-lust for a small kit like the OM-D.

However every time I shoot one, while reviewing the images later (and after patting myself on the back for taking advantage of the smallness,) I'm left with a feeling of dissatisfaction, a feeling of going backwards.

I personally just can't do it...  yet.  I need better AF, for one thing, maybe a better VF, maybe more DOF control, but mostly I just need better high-ISO performance so my shutter speeds can be where I want them in low-light, my subjects sharp, crisp, and as noise-free as possible.  Occasionally I need more dynamic range.

The fun gets drained and the 'versatility' dissipates when I look at the images later.  The D800 has completely spoiled me when it comes to IQ, I guess.

want to love the OM-D and its peers.  Maybe the next iteration.

DSLRs are too big to go everywhere. The best camera is the one you have with you.

The only camera I always have with me is my iphone 4s.  An OM-D, NEX, etc is too big to 'have with me' at all times anyway, especially with certain lenses attached.

A DSLR + small prime can be very 'versatile' in terms of portability + IQ + AF capability + speed/low light.  There are many ways to measure 'versatile', it's a big mistake to think it maps only to small.

My E-PL5 is the perfect balance of size, cost and power. Small enough to go anywhere like my iphone 4. Cheap enough to leave on the beach as I swim. Powerful enough not to miss my DSLRs when I am using it.

There you go.

FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow