Veteran MemberPosts: 3,527Gear list
Like?
Re: Contituation of the Versatility thread
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Apr 5, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

Ah, you misunderstand the word, than. COMPLETE darkness is ZERO light in ANY spectrum. That means no infrared either. Read up, come back, enjoy.

You were considering IR when you suggest "darkness", or "so dark that you couldn't see"?

I said I was being pedantic. You said it could focus in 'complete darkness' so I said no it can't because in true 'complete darkness' there is no light in any spectrum and thus it couldn't focus. You just misused the term 'complete'. No biggie.

To your camera, and in fact, my other two cameras, and to my eyes (can't speak for yours) unless looking through the EVF or LCD , it will be complete darkness.

Oh sheesh. You misused 'complete'. 'Complete' doesn't have anything to do with your eye, my eye, a camera, a microscope, or anything other measurement except for the amount of actual light available. Nothing can focus (or 'see') in complete darkness because there are no light particles there, period. Get over it.

Off topic.

No, just inconvenient now.

No, just completely off topic. We're talking about systems, not photographers. Do you really want to compare photography?

Who is looking for versatility in these systems, if not photographers?

Now we're on to topic #3, apparently. The systems are being questioned, not the talent of the photographers behind them.

Oh, oops. This one's on me, I was confusing the model numbers and thinking of the RX100 which is a P&S. The RX1 is a FF but is not versatile at all considering its fixed lens.

Correct. FF sensor and IQ does not make RX1 a versatile camera. Although, using arguments y'all make, one could argue it is a versatile camera if it meets all of their personal needs. Trust me, I won't.

Nope, and it's not just the sensor that makes a camera versatile. I've never argued that. It's not about personal needs either, it's about being versatile in a wide variety of needs. For that, a FF system wins.

RX1 doesn't. You know that and I agree with that sentiment. Where we are off is our limits to versatility. Clearly, I take my camera to a wider variety of situations than you do.

No chance. I would say the opposite. Clearly, I take my cameras to a wider variety of situations than you do.

So, your tool may be versatile enough for you, but it will come up short for my needs.

Vice versa.

Not in terms of the definition of a word it doesn't!

Actually it does because cost is the reason versatility is looked at.

Actually, it doesn't. Seriously, get a dictionary.

Versatility is a big difference when choosing between a family sedan and a sports car. The need to choose comes from cost. If cost were a non-issue, get both.

But that choice doesn't change the meaning of the word.

Biggs23 wrote:

So now you're backtracking and admitting what I said from the get go; if you want to use multiple lenses from multiple mounts you must have adapters for each mount.

Backtracking? No sire, just trying to explain the same thing over and over, and still misunderstood.

I am not your sire. You are definitely saying the same thing over and over, you just haven't realized that you're incorrect yet. I've been trying to do so but you haven't quite got it just yet.

There is a reason I'm having to repeat over and over (another reason I chose to consolidate our exchange into one set)... your inability to gather my points but only to come back with "you're incorrect", "it is versatile".

Riiiight. I'm the one doing that. I see what you did there!

I didn't say MF is more versatile.

Right, because it isn't. And if I want 14mm - 200mm at f/2.8 covered with a NEX I'd be forced to MF at least some of that range. Compared with a FF dSLR system where I could have the entire range with AF!

No. One could go from 11mm to 300mm at f/2.8 with AF, and onto 500mm f/4, on NEX.

Really? Could you show me the list of native E-Mount lenses that would make that happen? I just tried to look it up but see quite a few gaps in coverage. I may be missing a few lenses though. You clearly have more experience with that system than I do so I'm sure you'll know where to find such a list.

The beauty of E-mount being that you don't need to worry about E-mount lenses.

I do, actually, because I don't want to have to carry around adapters. So I take it that you acknowledge that I was asking about isn't possible, than?

I think the problem we might be having is that you seem to be saying that the NEX is more versatile for your uses, whereas I'm talking about what's more versatile in general. For you specifically it's completely possible that a NEX or mirrorless system is truly more versatile. But when speaking in general terms any semi-knowledgeable observer can see that it's not.

My point being that what is versatile to you, does not meet many of my needs. Obviously, your limits on versatility is reached sooner than later.

Other way around, actually.

WHEN DID I DO THAT? Seriously, don't misquote me. I'm sure you can shoot sports with a mirrorless system, just not as well or with as wide a range of options as with a FF system.

I don't need to. I prefer a more versatile system over tedious ones.

So then why do you have a NEX system?

Because it is fantastic alternative to a DSLR system. I do have a DSLT, but recall one of my first responses: if I had to live with just one camera today, I would pick NEX-6 (I have NEX-3).

Sure, no problem, it's just not as versatile as a FF dSLR system.

Oh, sure, no problem! Here's a great video showing everything I'm saying.  http://youtu.be/6X5xSUqlKuE?t=2m48s

Try to talk for self, back up YOUR claims on your own.

I did speak for myself. As for backing up my claims, I did that too. What doesn't the video validate for you? (Oh, right, you only want to hang on the point I did actually take the video because if I actually had your argument would be dead on the water. Got it.)

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow