D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
m_appeal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
Re: Another example of misfocus
In reply to Prairie Pal, Apr 5, 2013

Prairie Pal wrote:

I assumed you didn't draw it in, but had to ask.  All I can say here is that if you use AF-C with 9 or more points the camera DEFINITELY will chose one of the adjacent focus points if it does not like the contrast under the user selected AF point.  You can easily test this yourself with a featureless wall with some high contract object close by.  If the AF spot is on the featureless wall and the high contrast object is underneath one of the 9, 21, or 51 points the focus will shift to that point.  Is this expected behavior.  Too many it is not.  But it is in fact how the camera AF system is designed.

Now you say you used SINGLE point AF-C.  I would agree with you that the focus point should not shift (although others debate this) in this case.  In fact, View NX is confirming this by showing the red AF box over the eyelid.  So  I would agree that your camera appears to be mis-focusing.
Mike Dawson

You guys are aware that View NX places that red box at the focus point used in the camera, and not the point on the subject right?  If the camera or subject moved then the red square would not be overlayed in the exact same spot.  Just checking

??? The red box should be where the camera focuses at the time the photo was taken... so the exact spot should be the point of sharpness. not that this particular subject was even moving  at the time the photo was taken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow