EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,680Gear list
Like?
Re: Contituation of the Versatility thread
In reply to olliess, Apr 5, 2013

olliess wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

olliess wrote:

With a phase-detect DSLR, you have the choice of using either 1) a PDAF system for following fast moving subjects with reasonable accuracy or 2) live view and CDAF (or MF) for static subjects with critical accuracy. At present, you can get a mirrorless body with much faster CDAF but much more limited PDAF (if at all), so I'd have to say the DSLR is more "versatile" in this respect.

With Sony NEX, I have access to:

1- CDAF w/PDAF assist (also being attempted in DSLRs with PDAF)

2- Full time PDAF (including when image is being captured)

3- AF Micro Adjust to ensure accuracy

I think it's pretty well established that the NEX PDAF is not quite up there with current DSLRs, which is why I called the PDAF "limited."

But the beauty of NEX system as it currently exists is that you can address that, with full time PDAF (that not even comparable DSLRs can manage) and adds AF Micro Focus capability (that most comparable DSLRs don't have).

4- DMF with Focus Peaking display (Points in focus are highlighted in addition to PDAF focus points used to acquire focus)

5- Live View is not crippled as is the case in DSLRs.

6- Manual Focus assist via Focus Peaking and Focus Magnify thru EVF or LCD (whichever is more convenient)

7- Not forced to use Live View (usually fixed screen on DSLRs) for video

It should also be mentioned that there is a FF, phase-detect DSLR with an EVF, if you demand that functionality. Can you guess which company makes it?

I talked about it in an earlier response below. But, I also find it amusing that the only argument mirror-less naysayers have is that they assume the need to match APS-C or smaller sensor mirror-less cameras to FF DSLRs. Almost as if, the idea of bulk can't be rescued if smaller sensors with DSLRs were considered.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow