Contituation of the Versatility thread

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,709
Like?
Re: Contituation of the Versatility thread
In reply to vzlnc, Apr 5, 2013

vzlnc wrote:

FF already offers almost all focal lengths and both variable aperture and fixed aperture lenses at those focal lengths. Why would FF users even bother with putting lenses designed for other systems. Its the other systems which DO NOT have as good coverage as the FF cameras that have to resort to adapting lenses from other similar systems. Nikon and Canon both have wide-angle, normal zoom, portrait and wide primes, telephotos at f2.8 and f4 which other systems DONT even come close to having. Yes, you can adapt, and there goes the weight and size argument out of the window. For normal primes Canikon have the option of f1.2, f1.4, f1.8 for every individual requirement. THAT IS CALLED VERSATILITY.

Adapting these lenses to other systems means those systems are depending on FF lenses to overcome their weaknesses or lacking of certain features. You never see FF users trying to adapt lenses from other systems, bcoz they already have all accessories, lenses etc they need.

Hi

Wait until there is a mirrorless affordable FF interchangeable lens camera and THEN try this argument....people will grab the best glass from everywhere as long as the camera is suitable.

I took my Pentax Q with compact camera sensor with a Canon 85 1.2 L FD lens to the Harness races last night and they had a show by Shannon Noll between races.   I got photos that would have been difficult for me with ANYTHING else and especially not FF....i shoots concerts with apsc with a pass and up close.

Could not get close last night so shooting from the crowd with the luxury of 1.2/f2 shutter speeds with a 470mm aprox equiv focal length....yes, DOF is not as "thin" as a REAL 470 1.2 (where do i get one of them again?) but it is still very narrow and plenty thin enough.

You would get BETTER IQ (not more versatile) with a 400 2.8 on a FF maybe but you would not have had any room to use it or get close enough unless you also brought a fairly tall ladder.

I had my APSC Kx and 50 1.2 with me and tried using it (part of my normal kit for live music) and the results are horrible.

Adapted lenses are what is going to make this a very versatile camera.

I would argue that FF LENSES are much more verastile but again, mainly manual focus old style ones.

I would also argue that mirrorless interchangeable cameras that CAN take adapted lenses are much more versatile than any particular camera (of any format)  that can not (but the smaller the more choice of adapting).    EG a Pentax K-01 mirrorless is not easily adaptable (due to keeping the K mount..lots of lenses but comparatively, few can be adapted)

I can not wait for a FF mirrorless interchangeable camera but it will not be as versatile as a smaller camera of the same type....it will be BETTER for what it will do for me but it will not do as MUCH.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow