Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gerry Pasternack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,440
Like?
A RAW + JPG Workflow
Apr 5, 2013

There have been some recent posts on the value and utility of processing RAW + JPG output.  I think there are benefits of each format, but rather than re-hash them I'd like your opinion on a workflow involving both formats. I use this procedure for photo-shoots resulting in a large number of  images.  I use JPGs for quick review and RAW (DNG) for detailed edits.:

1.  Transfer RAW + JPG captures from camera to an appropriately titled desktop folder.  Create separate sub-folders within for RAW and for JPG.

2.  View the contents of JPG folder with a fast viewer (like FastStone).  Discard the outright "losers"; perform some easy edits within the viewer to see which images might have some merit; discard some more "near-losers".  Keep note of the discards and delete these same filenames from the RAW sub-folder

3.  Convert the remaining RAW images to DNG format; add another sub-folder for DNG images; delete the RAW sub-folder (?).  Add the JPG+DNG folder to its "working imagel" place on the HD

4.  Import DNG sub-folder images into LR/PS and perform detailed edits.

5.  Produce output as desired.

Comments?  Much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow