Like?
Re: Contituation of the Versatility thread
In reply to Biggs23, Apr 5, 2013

Biggs23 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

All FF cameras of the same generation as the mirrorless cameras you're speaking of are better at focusing in low light, IME. Older FF cameras are a different story, sure.

I have a 9+ year old camera that can focus in complete darkness.

To be pedantic, no it can't, but I understand your point.

Well, it can. That is the point of "Night Framing" option (Focuses in complete darkness for framing, but takes image in normal mode albeit requires flash).

COMPLETE darkness means that NO light is available. Literally, none. That's what the word means. If there is NO light than NOTHING can focus, not even your eyes. So no, it cannot focus in COMPLETE darkness.

Infra Red. Darkness to my eyes, not to the camera. Now you know? The camera is capable of "seeing" in IR light and acquire focus, even if our eyes can't.

Nonetheless, compare your NEX with a good FF dSLR of the same generation and the FF will focus more accurately and more consistently in low light. (-1EV or worse)

Let us hope so. If you're paying 3x as much, you better expect it. However, what if I choose to focus in even darker surroundings? What will be your option?

I can focus below -1EV, I was just using it as a baseline for comparison. I've successfully autofocused in about -4EV.

Let us try even darker. Who is more likely to miss focus, you or I? (Trick question)

I'd have to disagree. High ISO images from same generation FF dSLRs tend to be better than their mirrorless counterparts.

So, it is lack of mirror that is causing trouble at high ISO? I wonder if that applies to Sony RX1.

Nope, it's sensor size and the technology camera makers have used.

But RX1 is mirror-less.

I understand that. Not sure of your point.

You've been harping about FF DSLRs versus "mirror-less". Perhaps you should be more specific that you don't want to include FF mirror-less systems.

What does a 5D MKIII or D800 cost. I said price range.

Price range isn't related to versatility.

Price is related to purchase decision to have versatility. With unlimited budget, I wouldn't care about versatility out of a single camera body.

Right, but that's an important distinction. We're not discussing the choice of versatility, we're discussing versatility itself.

If price  can be ignored, there is no need to worry about a single multi-dimensional system.

The original question was about the most versatile system overall. Singular. As such, my arguments have related to options within that confine.

And cost plays a role, from design and delivery to buying.

I've done this. I'm generally far more baffled by smaller cameras than larger ones. For me P&S cameras tend to be the most difficult by far. Than bridge cameras, then mirrorless, then dSLR.

The super control panel on my E-PL5 is so intuitive. Everything is right there. It only takes a second to change most commonly used functions.

The same can be said of good dSLR's, and more.

Nope.

Yep.

Nope.

Yep.

I wish to be amused watching you keep up.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow