Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't get your meaning?
In reply to schmegg, Apr 5, 2013

schmegg wrote:

Mike CH wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Hans Kruse wrote:

The diffence is quite remarkable and with a full frame 645 sensor the sensor area is around 2.6 times larger so it is to be expected that the resolution is much higher.

The size of a sensor is not the governing attribute that determines its resolving power.

Just like APS-C sensors resolve less detail than a full frame sensor with the same number of pixels.

Given the exact same detail presented to the sensor plane (which is the only really valid way to determine which sensor can resolve more), an 18MP Canon crop will resolve more detail than a 22MP Canon FF sensor.

Why would I want to compare that way?

Depends on the type of photography you do I guess.

Wouldn't it make, in a practical sense (I know, I know - not really wanted around here), more sense to compare a situation where the same image is presented to the different sensors? That would mean that I would compare attempts to capture the same scene with two different sensor sizes. (Ie. different focal lengths on the different sensors to compensate for the different crop sizes).

Maybe.

The way I understand you, you want to compare at the same focal length for both sizes (ie. ignoring image differences due to different crop factors). To me, when taking a photograph, that comparison is of very little interest, because the framing is too different.

To you certainly. To someone who shoots BIF or macro the story could well be very different.

In end effect, you say that they don't care about the framing? As long as that part of the insect or bird that I did get on the image has more detail than an image with the whole bird or insect, the partial image is the better?

The reason you'd want to compare this way is because it's the only sensible way to determine which sensor resolves more detail from a given amount projected onto it.

Why does a photographer need that information? What can he use it for? What is the practical use of that information? Basically, you are saying that some frame with 2/3 the image of another has more detail. How can I use that?

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow