D7100 - I need help solving the "green shadows" in skin tones problem

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,984
Like?
“Green skin-tone” mystery solved… problem gone… camera retrieved.
In reply to mosswings, Apr 5, 2013

“Green skin-tone” mystery solved… problem gone… camera retrieved.

I would like to thank everyone who posted a reply on this thread or sent me a private message regarding my request for help dealing with the “green skin tone shadows” problem I was having. Today I finally had the opportunity to sit down and carefully read through every post and message. The helpful information and great suggestions you sent me made all the difference. One post in particular prompted me to try something I hadn't thought of, and as a result, I found the offending problem and was able to fix it – no more green shadows, only beautiful skin tones, even in the shadows, and a very happy camper. An hour later I was down at the camera store re-purchasing my D7100 and lens which had been set aside and waiting for me.

EXPLANATION:

So what was the issue? The problem, as it turned out, was not with my in-camera color-space choice of Adobe RGB versus sRGB, it was not with my monitor quality or its calibration, it was not with my color-space settings in Photoshop CS5… although it seems that any or all of these could have been the culprit for causing an issue like this. Plus, it needs to be said clearly that this problem was definitely NOT with the D7100 or with Nikon sensors in general, as I had been erroneously told by the camera store staff this week. The particular problem I was having was with the browser I was using.

We own a web-IT business and this past winter we had our first major cyber-attack in 13 years of being in this business. As a result we’ve made some major security upgrades which included changing our browsers on all our PCs to the latest version of Google Chrome for Windows.  One of you asked me in your post, “What browser are you using?” and so I thought OK, I’ll give Internet Explorer a try. The result was instant....  gorgeous colours and skin tones compared to the horrible results I was getting with Chrome for Windows.

Through subsequent Googleing and reading I discovered that while Chrome for MACs has colour-management support built into it, just a recent addition, Chrome for Windows has no colour-management support at all. Hard to believe, but true.

With a bit more Googleing I found that an internal fix exists which is fast and easy to apply. I applied the fix and it worked beautifully. Here it is for anyone who wants it: http://www.marcelpatek.com/blog/2011/11/19/enabling-color-management-in-google-chrome/

On a final note, I related the whole story and the solution to the camera store manager and his staff this morning and strongly encouraged them never to suggest to customers, as I had been incorrectly told the other night, that this is a long-standing problem due to Nikon's sensors. I said that the skin tones from the same files that I had saved before returning the camera looked beautiful now that the browser problem was fixed. They were quite grateful to get the news that this camera works great.

Anyways, that's the story...thanks again, and it looks like you’re stuck with me.

Rudy

(edited to move post above sig)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow