Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,544Gear list
Like?
Re: Contituation of the Versatility thread
In reply to FoolyCooly, Apr 5, 2013

FoolyCooly wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

FoolyCooly wrote:

Yes, the 5D classic, 5D MK II and 6D. Not all FF cameras are good at focusing in low-light. The peripheral points on all the cameras I listed above are rated at f5.6 for example.

All FF cameras of the same generation as the mirrorless cameras you're speaking of are better at focusing in low light, IME. Older FF cameras are a different story, sure.

The 6D is new.

Yes, it is. You used that as a comparison, not me.

I'd have to disagree. High ISO images from same generation FF dSLRs tend to be better than their mirrorless counterparts.

What does a 5D MKIII or D800 cost. I said price range.

Price range isn't related to versatility.

A $4000 camera better offer better performance than a $1000 camera.

Agreed!

5) Not good enough flash system.

What? Olympus RC flash Google it.

A decent system it seems but still not compatible with many O/C flash systems that allow for HSS, such as RadioPoppers for instance.

Home many people really use those?

Every photographer I talk with in person on a regular basis does. I use RP's multiple times every week.

I've never used them and I don't know anyone who does. I've used PWs and cheap dumb wireless flash controllers but I have little need for high speed flash sync. I suppose I could use a 20' TTL cord if I really needed it.

Ok, so? Just because you do not know those people or use them yourself doesn't mean they don't exist. A modern FF dSLR is compatible with them, a mirrorless isn't. Thus the FF is the more versatile option. That's all I'm saying.

6) Thin DOF not possible in situations when you need it.

When do you need it? I need thin DOF for portraits and have no trouble getting it my FX, DX or MFT.

Fair enough, but FF will always have more options in terms of DoF than a smaller format will. As such, it's more versatile in that arena.

Agreed but I will argue that DX and FX can be good enough.

?

Sorry, DX and MFT.

Good enough for what, exactly? All I'm saying is FF provides more DoF options and is therefore more versatile, which is the point of this and the other threads. Nothing more.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow