Ring around the beauty dish

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,659Gear list
Like?
Re: Ring around the beauty dish
In reply to Brent Allen Thale, Apr 5, 2013

Brent Allen Thale wrote:

I can put the plastic diffuser on the SB-900 yes, but because of the design of the mounting bracket, it's impossible to move the flash head far enough forward that it's going to make much difference.

I see other companies have different types of speedlight brackets, for example this one here has the flash pointing straight into the dish instead of bending 90 degrees, it looks like with that design the head would actually be far enough into the dish to work: https://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/16sbdbktc.htm

Here is a picture of the dish I'm using, notice how the flash is barely able to get inside the dish itself, and the flash head is clearly visible around the edges of the deflector.

See how the flash head is too far back in the dish.

Can you move the deflector one notch closer to the flash? It looks like you can.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow