Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,574Gear list
Like?
Re: Contituation of the Versatility thread
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Apr 5, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Let us look at the definition you quoted: “Turning with ease from one thing to another”

My idea of that camera: Sony NEX-6 or similar. But let us look into it closer. Sony NEX-6, in addition to native lenses, just about any lens out there can be used if it will cover at least an APS-C sensor. To me, that is pretty close to having a “universal mount”: Versatility.

So you have to carry multiple adapters for all those different lenses in differing lens mount, right? That makes your camera carrying requirement much larger and with many more pieces. That severely hurts your argument.

Most of these non-native lenses will necessitate manual focus, which is actually a strength of the system. You have Focus Peaking, Focus Magnify, Tiltable LCD screen and EVF. The camera will meter: Versatility.

Let me get this straight, MF is a STRENGTH? You realize that you can MF with a dSLR too, right? I recognize that focus peaking is a big thing but it's certainly NOT more versatile to MF, even with focus peaking.

Some of the non-native mounts also allow for Auto Focus. It is for this reason, effort is being put in developing such adapters as we’ve recently seen from Metabones (with, or without AF). Then there is another tool that not only allows expansion of options for AF lenses, it literally transforms the AF system, from Minolta/Sony A-mount. Sports/Action photography, covered well: Versatility.

But not as well as a dSLR. So versatile, yes, but less so.

Heading to the park for a walk? To a family dinner without lugging a bag or a camera hanging on the neck? Put 20mm f/2.8 pancake on NEX-6, you are covered (weight: 415g, < 1 lb. Size: pocketable). Street shooting? Put the relatively small 35mm f/1.8 (weight: 500g, just over 1 lb. Size: acceptable). A companion to bike through the mountains? Even the ultra-wide zoom (10-18 f/4) is tiny and light (225g). Want 10mm to 35mm versatility? You’re looking at net weight of the system (10-18, 20mm and 35mm lenses, plus body) at 795g… less than the body-only weight of a Full Frame DSLR. And in fact, the system itself is modular, that a person can choose to put a lens each in two pockets and skip the bag, to take advantage of: Versatility.

I can do all of those things easily with a dSLR, too. Is it larger? Sure. Is is heavier? Yep. Is the quality better and are there more lens options and is the quality better and is shooting easier and... all yes as well.

Want to shoot sports or birds in flight? Get a Sony/Minolta A-mount lens of your choice (FF or APS-C), put LA-EA2 adapter, and you’ve got a system that can focus continuously (even while shooting at 10 FPS). And yes, you can use either the EVF OR the LCD without losing performance, per need: Versatility.

Yep, versatile. But still not as versatile as a FF setup. I don't need an adapter and I can focus MORE accurately and continuously at 10FPS too.

IMO, such cameras (and m4/3 have their own pros and cons too) can not only serve as an excellent companion to DSLR/DSLT today

Agreed. They are just less versatile overall.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow