Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348Gear list
Like?
Re: You're being ridiculously perfectionist
In reply to Steve, Apr 5, 2013

It's probably better to shoot with the framing you want. Unless you print big (I do sometimes) or crop a lot (ditto, especially as the long end on the 12-35 isn't that long, about 1.4x "normal", sometimes I see something interesting near an edge I decide would make a good subject) then you're better with 16MP of pretty good than 10MP of really good (it's a square law, so every 20% you knock off x and y knocks 36% off the MP, so 16MP with 10% cropped off each edge, which isn't much, gives 10MP.

Also not a deal-breaker for me as I bought one (did get a killer price though). Mainly for the 12mm wide end and the low weight combined with pretty good performance for a standard zoom.

P.S. I see DXO have tested it and rate it as 9MP on a 16MP GH2, which is a camera with a weak AA filter. That puts in really pretty good territory for m43 lenses (top 15% I guess).

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow