James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,817Gear list
Like?
Low light Sigma
In reply to Neurad1, Apr 5, 2013

Neurad1 wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

Neurad1 wrote:

I have read quite a bit about the X100s. I know its IQ is supposed to be great and that the S fixed a lot of the issues with the X100. I guess where the X100s seems less than ideal to me is in two areas. It is "biggish" (not really pocketable, is it?) and not what I'd call unobtrusive (like a small pocketable black camera would be). I will study up on the X100s more, though. The fixed focal length of the X100s is also one of the points I am less excited about when I consider the Nikon Coolpix A, but the RX1 has a fixed focal length lens and Sony seems to be having no problem selling them.....

Sony with its RX1 and Fuji with its X100/X100s have proven that when you put a good lens on a good camera, there is indeed a market. Some people might ask "Why would you live with the limitations of a permanent fixed focal length lens?" I ask, "Why would you live with the limitations of a permanent cheap zoom?" It's nice to have choices.

The X100 is rather small, but only pocketable in a jacket. The "old fashioned" look of the Fuji does not scare people. Image quality is what it has going for it and, in that, the X100s will destroy the pocketable cameras. I don't know yet if the Coolpix A is considered pocketable. For me, the 28mm wide of the Coolpix A is too wide for my taste as a fixed lens. I much prefer a 35mm or 50mm equivalent if I'm limited to one lens.

How about a Sigma DP2M? Used properly, it's as good as medium format. It's also a very small camera.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

How is the low light sensitivity of the Signa DP2M?

My understanding is that the Sigmas tend to drop off rapidly after ISO 400. In other words, no way are they low-light cameras. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow