Contituation of the Versatility thread

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,457Gear list
Like?
Re: Contituation of the Versatility thread
In reply to Biggs23, Apr 5, 2013

Biggs23 wrote:

There's more to focusing than just speed, it's also accuracy in low light. I'm well versed in flowers girls (and bridesmaids, and brides, etc.) walking down the aisle a bit too quickly. Most of the time it's not an issue but when the light gets low that can be a different story. I don't agree with the OP that mirrorless cameras aren't suitable for sports or moving people at all, but they certainly aren't as versatile in that area.

Which is better 9 focus points clustered in the center of the frame or 45 focus points covering ~90% of the frame?

Sounds like you're referencing a very specific camera. Mine has 51.

Yes, the 5D classic, 5D MK II and 6D. Not all FF cameras are good at focusing in low-light. The peripheral points on all the cameras I listed above are rated at f5.6 for example.

2) Not as good in low light

The OM-D and E-PL5 offer exceptional high ISO performance. They easily match or best any camera in their price range.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. However, even if true, what does that have to do with anything? There are quite a few FF dSLR's that are significantly better than they are at high-ISO. As such, those cameras can be considered more versatile in that arena.

Look at images from the OM-D compared to the NEX 5N, NEX 7, D7000, D300, 60D and 7D. They look pretty darn close or better to me.

What does a 5D MKIII or D800 cost. I said price range.

5) Not good enough flash system.

What? Olympus RC flash Google it.

A decent system it seems but still not compatible with many O/C flash systems that allow for HSS, such as RadioPoppers for instance.

Home many people really use those?

6) Thin DOF not possible in situations when you need it.

When do you need it? I need thin DOF for portraits and have no trouble getting it my FX, DX or MFT.

Fair enough, but FF will always have more options in terms of DoF than a smaller format will. As such, it's more versatile in that arena.

Agreed but I will argue that DX and FX can be good enough.

7) Less external controls, less mature menu navigation, lots of fluff and gimmicks to selling to new photo enthusiasts.

The operation essentially the same. It's nice not having to HUNT all over the camera body for one button to change AF settings for example.

What?! The operation of most mirrorless cameras isn't AT ALL like that of a good dSLR.

Pick up a SLR that your not familiar with. Take 5 seconds to look at the controls. Then try to change ISO, image quality, AF mode, WB and drive mode with out hunting for buttons.

The super control panel on my E-PL5 is so intuitive. Everything is right there. It only takes a second to change most commonly used functions.

FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow