Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark B UK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: Very depressing
In reply to josbiker, Apr 5, 2013

It seems to me some people are over-complicating this debate.

Many photographers find that two fast, premium-quality zooms covering the equivalent of 24-70 and 70-200 or 210 in FF satisfy a very high percentage of their picture-taking needs, so purchase such optics as their main, or only, lenses.

Currently there is only one pair of products available to meet this need for m43: the Lumix X 12-35 and 35-100 2.8. User and bench tests indicate both deliver generally very high quality, with the proviso that there can be slight corner softness at 12mm with wide apertures on the former and there's a drop-off in resolution wide open at 100mm on the latter. The lenses are also light, weather-sealed and reliable (I haven't seen a single report of a mechanical or electronic failure and hardly any of poor copies or optical misalignment).

While there are rumours that Olympus will produce a competitor to the 12-35 (probably a 12-40 2.8-4), there is no suggestion of anything in the pipeline targeting the 35-100.

Users who are happy to have two lenses from different manufacturers, with different handling and optical characteristics and possibly different filter sizes, perhaps with a slight overlap in focal lengths covered and with no OIS (relevant to Panasonic users) may benefit from waiting to see what Olympus delivers before deciding to get the rumoured Zuiko and the longer of the two Lumixes.

Anyone else who feels that the m43 equivalents of the 24-70 and 70-200 or 210 2.8 zooms that are so popular in FF would be their optimum lens choices has, in my view, nothing to gain from holding off buying the two Lumix optics.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow