Are there any "rules" for using ISO?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Re: Are there any "rules" for using ISO?
In reply to baloo_buc, Apr 5, 2013

baloo_buc wrote:

I didn't want to be a reproach. We all learned from scratch. It took me 3 month to include ISO Speed in calculations.

While I have been trying to learn this from the beginning, now it is a year later and I am still having trouble!  Of course, the D7000 is my first DSLR, so there was a steep learning curve.  Best excuse I can think of...

The main thing to remember is that both aperture and shutter speed are reciprocals (i.e. f/5.6 > f/8 or 1/1000 s < 1/125 s) and they are working complementary (if you decrease the one you have to increase the other in order to have the same exposure). Now ISO speed is a part that affects exposure too and it is not reciprocal (i.e. ISO 200 > ISO 100) but it work exactly the same as with shutter speed and aperture.

The fractions/reciprocals concept has not been a problem for me.  The main issue is the relationship to ISO.  Hopefully, thanks for your help (and others here), I can start to use it correctly.

Have a happy day!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow