Started Apr 5, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
minircc
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Better low light AF than D5200
Apr 5, 2013

i am tossing between the 650d 18-135 STM and d5200 18-105 VR.
i went to Ted's Camera and played around with both for a while. The sales consultant was very helpful and didnt mind. What really surprised me was the speed of the auto focus on the Canon STM system. In real life lower light use, the focusing speed was much much faster and quieter on the Canon. It also did not require AF assist, whereas the d5200 struggled a bit more and the AF assist light came on more often when focusing on the same items and same low light. Both were on auto mode.  I was a little worried with Canon before i tested them because it doesnt have an AF assist light (it uses the pop flash as a strobe). Now i know why, it hardly needs to use it!
(I had my heart set on the D5200 after all my internet research, but that pretty much sold me the 650d. A 360 turnaround for me.
I also want to  add a 50mm F1.8 (approx $100) and an iTTL flash that allows off camera flash. I think a brilliant starter kit.
I wonder if anyone else has noticed the focus differences between the 2 systems? To me specs mean nothing when in reality one clearly outperforms the other.
Having said that, i do a lot of low light shooting. So in daytime there wouldn’t be any noticeable difference between the 2 with regards to AF speed and accuracy.

minircc's gear list:minircc's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
minircc's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow