D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,806Gear list
Like?
Re: I will be taking and posting samples in less challenging light
In reply to m_appeal, Apr 5, 2013

BTW...as I posted in another thread...

In spite of my wife being done with my testing and hiding under the covers, I shots in almost no light. Typically the camera would give me a lock and the results would be a focus point over an eye, but still with front/back focus and a useless shot.

Trying to focus on a cheek was pretty much impossible, though my previous cameras could often do it and so can her D7000.

After the firmware update my D800 is focusing as well as I hoped when I first unpacked the thing. Apologies for the grade-z photo, but the sequence of shots had the focus points on the ear, eye, forhead and cheek. Every shot was perfect; something the D800 could not pull off a few days ago in such poor light.

I think that there are some folks who have the new firmware and are seeing little improvement because their D800 samples were focusing better to begin with.

On my unit the differences are not subtle. AF finally works!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow