Is the OM-D the most unreliable Olympus ever?

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,232
Like?
Is the OM-D the most unreliable Olympus ever?
Apr 5, 2013

I'm aware of a stream of issues that users have reported with the E-M5 - minor details like the bezel crack, black paint falling off etc, but major issues - especially just after release - of things like IBIS failure, spontaneously cracking screens, shutter failures and so on.

The only other Olympus that I can recall having any number of complaints was the E-PM1, with the issue around losing time if the main battery was removed for any length of time.

I figure that the E-M5 must have sold an awful lot more than I think it has, for the complaints about it not to be disproportionate to the number in use.

This is a screenshot of a thumbnail listing of the first 36 shots of nothing in particular from a (barely) used E-M5 that I bought recently. Shutter failure is easily apparent at high shutter speeds, but I suspect that exposure may thus be unreliable for all shutter speeds. Of the first 36 exposures, 8 are clear failures (as you can see). As you can imagine, I'm gutted. This is no minor repair like replacing a screen.

Does anyone else feel the issues with the E-M5 are out of line with other cameras, or is it quite normal and just the echo chamber effect of forums that I'm seeing here?

-- hide signature --
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow