Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,874Gear list
Like?
What a 70-200 f2.8 is really great for.. 2 Fullsize images
Apr 5, 2013

I used to have a 70-200 f4L for years. It was ultrasharp. However, I found that it wasn't the best for anything. I got rid of it and got a 70-300L which is sharper and more flexible. However this didn't have the bokeh for portraits, which I desired. My longer lenses did, a Sigma 300 and 120-300 but they are too long for this.

So, resisting the temptation to get a Canon 70-200 which I know is great, for less than half the price I got a Sigma 70-200 OS. The OS (IS) is terrific and whatever about its definition etc vis-a-vis the Canon, I think it's more than good enough for this kind of thing..

Portraits. These are handheld in the kitchen with OS on.

People always consider the 85 f1.8 and the 100 f2 for portraiture, but a zoom like this is just as good, as indeed is the 100 f2.8 macro. The advantage of the zoom is IS and flexiblity of FL.

My advice.

A 70-200 f2.8 is heavier than a 70-200 f4, but the weight is well worth it and having one may eliminate any need you have for a portrait lens.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +25 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow