Started Apr 5, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skmadapatu
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
My bad luck with latest D800E’s
Apr 5, 2013

I am having unfortunate experience with latest D800E’s. I had left autofocus issue with the D800E I bought on late March 2013 from Amazon (30124xx). Thanks to Amazon I got the replacement yesterday (301279x). Sadly both left & right autofocus (24mm 2.8 & 50mm 1.8) worse than the one before. I am followed the test procedure - http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/03/how-to-tell-if-your-d800-d800e-d4-has-the-left-focusing-problem/

So I thought I will give a chance by updating the firmware (D800E_0102) following Nikon’s step-by step procedure. After the update I did the focus test again. @24MM 2.8 (On my 24-70 Tamron) left & right performed badly again. Then I tried the 50MM (AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1.8G) autofocus (both live view & view finder) stopped responding – it was at least working yesterday. Then I switched to Tamron 24-70mm – no luck with any autofocus (except manual focus). Then I tried the Nikon 70-200mm VR2 – autofocus worked perfectly. Then I tested again with 24-70 (some time it works) & 50MM is not working at all. I reset (QUAL&+/-) the camera couple of times and even re-updated the firmware (D800E_0102) – no luck so far.

Early last month another D800E autofocus point got stuck (nonmoving on both live view & view finder – even after the camera re-set) when I used the IUSBPORTCAMERA. I am also one of the 1stperson ordered the D800E back in February 2012 the moment Amazon start taking the order – sadly that sensor had the oil spot issues. In my case autofocus worked fine on the earlier models - Ironically, I am having trouble with latest ones. I feel bad about returning the D800E’s.

D800E is the best & dream camera I ever owned (I am not a professional photographer, but reasonably educated and I invested on finest new lenses and other accessories) – but sadly  those dreams are short-lived so far:(

I understand this is an utltra sensitive sensor and errors can happen in the automated production line. BUT I do sincerely still (even 1 year after launching) wish Nikon will do better job in automation of the testing too on the professional products like this before sending out to customer - that is the reason I am taking I star away.

skmadapatu's gear list:skmadapatu's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800E Nikon D810
skmadapatu's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
mediocre
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow