If you already have the 85 1.4D would you trade 'down' for the 1.8G + cash for other lenses?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: If you already have the 85 1.4D would you trade 'down' for the 1.8G + cash for other lenses?
In reply to anotherMike, Apr 5, 2013

Mike that is a fairly good summation but the copy I have is so sharp at 5.6 I was pleasantly surprised! I saw a sample photo taken with a D3 and the 1.4d at f11 taken across water of a harbour and when enlarged I could read the parking signs on the lamp posts.

I think there may be some variations in batches I think there was three major production runs and mine came from the last.

I would not swap this for the G version for portraiture. If I won the lottery I would buy all three!!

I think Nikon has been tinkering with their glass formulas as some of the best glass from the past was not very eco-friendly. I wonder if this explains the reported colour shift on the 1.4G. also the prices of additives used in their high end crown and flint lens elements have have gone through the roof, substitutes that were used in the past had a slightly warmer effect.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow