GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,890Gear list
Like?
Re: You might be asking the wrong question
In reply to captura, Apr 5, 2013

captura wrote:

GaryW wrote:

captura wrote:

Gary, let's say someone is considering a fantastic camera; the NEX-6. Then with due dilligence they research the standard bundled lens, and t's the 16-50. The reports on that are very mixed. Well an average buyer may not bother doing the online mix-and match thing. They are more likely just get the E-PL5 or whatever else was on the store shelf, because the kit lens has more favorable reviews than the 1650.

Well, the 16-50 is the new kit lens.  What would you have Sony do, go back to the 18-55?

I bought a 5R and the standard kit lens is the 18-55. Same thing with the NEx-7. By all accounts the 18-55 is equal to if not better the 16-50. Although you have chosen for your own reasons to get the 1650,

I have not. I'm interested in it, tho, as I may one day buy another Nex, and what if this is the kit lens?  Maybe I would like the compact size.

some buyers will avoid the NEX-6 and NEX-3N models because of the kit lens.

Maybe the Nex-6, but the 16-50 seems ideal for the entry-level Nex-3n.  And someone like me could get the body-only option for the 6.

In the early days of NEX a lot of sales were lost because there were not enough lenses, and one was particularly deficient in quality, the 16SEL2.8. Now Sony is repeating some of it's history.

You forget, I kind of like the 16.  

I've also lived with the 18-55 and now I saw it transformed into a good lens just by moving it to one of the new cameras. But you can't do that with the 1650...it is deficient at the wide end no matter what you do.

The 18-55 isn't exactly great at the wide end either, unless you stop down.

I think the average user says, "Oh, I've known Canon for years.  I'm getting that one!"  

Seriously, though, I'm more interested in what the 16-50 is or isn't more than whether "reports" are "mixed" and how that may affect sales.

In the early days of the Nex, there were a number of complaints about the lens being too large.  I've lived with the 18-55, but I also see the appeal in a smaller lens, so if we can get a smaller lens with seemingly little penalty (and perhaps improvement!), then I think that's pretty exciting.

I wouldn't mind a 1650 myself for it's convenience, but I have other lenses if I want to shoot wide or shoot quality. The average mall shopper will buy a NEX plus crappy lens like the 1650 and regret it later, or may buy another brand altogether...that is my point.

The average mall shopper will see how much improved it is over the normal P&S and love it.

The more advanced enthusiast, I don't know.... But I suspect the average buyer will be fine with it.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow