Senior MemberPosts: 1,536Gear list
Like?
Re: Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses
In reply to tjdean01, Apr 5, 2013

tjdean01 wrote:

MAubrey wrote:

tjdean01 wrote:

MAubrey wrote:

If you're referring to noise, then that really depends on your perspective and what you view as "good enough." The most recent crop of μ43 sensors are equal to or better than the Canon 5D classic and I don't remember anyone complaining about the quality of that camera when it came out (I never saw sufficient motivation to move to a mk2...maybe when my shutter wears out). That's an achievement that's nothing to scoff at. And in another few years, μ43 will be on par with the sensor quality of the current crop of 35mm sensors. Again, its all a question of what's "good enough."

If that's the case why did it take them so darn long to make something small that even holds a flame to the 2006 Fuji F30?  Good sensor at 6MP and sharp lens.  I know I'm mentioning the whole camera and not just the sensor as you said, but the sure, the Canon s100 was better and maybe the s90 but neither of them convinced me to buy meaning they weren't even that much better.  Nikon P330 looks like it might though!

I'm not entirely sure I know what you're talking about.

2006: Fuji F30 released

(several years pass)

2009: Canon s90 released.  Maybe a bit better than F30

2011: Canon s100 released. Maybe a bit better still (a better camera, yes, but IMO there's a certain smearing, I guess you could say, to the Canon that I don't like)

2013: Nikon P330 released. Finally a pocket camera released that appears to beat the F30 in all ways (lens + sensor), I think.

And what I was getting at is that you think there will be a m4/3s sensor as good as current FF sensors.  Well, based on the above, I personally think we'll be waiting a while!  That said I am very impressed with the performance of the 16MP sensor.

Well, if you had noted by own comparison, the Canon 5D classic appeared in 2005 and it wasn't matched by μ43 until 2012. If that's "waiting a while" then yes. I never disputed that. I don't personally think that's very long and would place it within the range of "a few years" just as I said.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow