Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adjuster
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 100-300 vs. Olympus 75-300 II lens test
In reply to Anders W, Apr 5, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Adjuster wrote:

Thanks for the test. But I am not so sure about the conclusion. Note that a) the new 75-300 is optically identical to the old save for new (and hopefully better) antireflective coatings and b) the two lenses were not focused identically in your test images (focus placed closer to the camera with the Pany 100-300).

I was concerned about those issues as well. I wanted to give Olympus the benefit of the doubt in case the older one was a bad copy.

The old may have been a bad copy. Hard to tell at this point. But there is no real reason to expect any optical difference between the new and the old lens design, except possibly with respect to flare.

That is why I wanted to test it.

I tested the lenses repeatedly with the OM-D and the results were always the same. So if the focusing was off, it was off consistently. The "Do Not Enter Sign" was consistently sharper with the Olympus lens. Hard to see in the photos, but the horizontal white line was sharper with the Olympus.

Focus may well have been different consistently. In the shots you show, neither lens is focused perfectly on the "Do not enter" sign. As far as I can tell, focus for the Oly is on the middle section of the leftmost trunk and for the Pany on the topmost section of the same trunk. It follows that the sign is more out of focus with the Pany than the Oly, which probably explains the difference you are seeing.

The focus rectangle was located directly over the sign.

Are you suggesting that I should send the Panasonic to their service center to have it adjusted?

I wouldn't think so. But I am not so sure that you need to buy the Oly to replace it based on this test. Neither image looks all that sharp to me even in the part where they are perfectly focused. But this may be because of jpeg processing (e.g., the NR setting) and atmospheric conditions. I trust it you were using a tripod.

The 100-percent crop in the post I link to below shows the sharpness level that the 100-300 can actually manage at the long end:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50934220

You all may be right. I was shooting through a window. Will do another series of tests this weekend when I hopefully will not be stuck at the office.

BTW, shutter shock was a 1/8 and I used the 2 second delay all to avoid unnecessary vibration.

It would be nice if the Olympus were as good as the Panasonic as it is smaller and easier to carry.

Adjuster's gear list:Adjuster's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow