DPP, Lightroom and Photo Ninja, samples

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,685Gear list
Like?
Re: DPP, Lightroom and Photo Ninja, samples
In reply to aftab, Apr 5, 2013

I am back after trying Photo Ninja on about 200 pictures. I am back because I didn't do justice to Photo Ninja in my original post. It is much more powerful and flexible than I originally thought. In my OP I talked about it's awesome highlight recovery feature. Now I want to tell you about some other features I discovered since then.

Exposure and detail:

You can select how you want a RAW file to open, you can select several presets and adjustments as default including a Neutral preset. In all cases PN recovers highlight at the time of opening a file. So, you don't need to spend time on highlight recovery. After you open a file there are some very innovative ways you can make further adjustments. They are easy to use and very powerful. In addition PN has a 'Detail' slider which increases local contrast without any halo. It is far more effective than anything I have used. Now I am discovering detail in my pictures I didn't know even existed. Few examples.

A late afternoon shot with beautiful golden light. Exposed to right to capture the detail in the dark areas under the bridge. Before I tried to process it with LR and CS, the results were okay, but didn't look like what I saw with my eyes.

RAW without any adjustment

PN in less than 30 secs. See how the trees came alive with better detail, couldn't do it with LR.

Another example. Look the buildings and how every single brick stands out.

RAW without adjustment.

Few seconds in PN. Again, with LR buildings didn't look this sharp.

I want to show you 100% crops from two other pictures to show the comparison of details and sharpness compared to LR.Unlike above two pictures here the details are finer.

Taken from a moving bus. RAW without adjustment.

PN (of course you can do different adjustments)

100% crops

See, how PN image looks sharper (and in focus), couldn't do this with LR and CS after trying all kinds of sharpening and contrast adjustments.

Another scene with PN (handheld)

100% crops

If you view large you will notice how PN brings out smallest detail and gives sharper image compared to LR.

Noise reduction and detail:

LR and ACR has one of the best NR algorithms. When minimal NR is needed all programs do well, but when heavy NR is needed PN with it's built in Noise Ninja beats LR and ACR.

RAW without adjustment. Exposed for the bright parts of the cloud.

PN after exposure adjustment and NR

100% crops. 1st crop is before NR (4 stops shadow lifted)

This is an extreme example. LR unable to remove color noise completely from the boat, PN does a much better job. PN is cleaner and maintains better detail in the rope.

PN also has several ways to adjust colors and many other excellent features, I can't discuss everything here. All I can say is that it has given new life to my pictures. No wonder Rob Galbraith says, "Photo Ninja's interpolation algorithm and sharpening filter pull the finest-possible detail from D800 and D800E NEFs...". You can read this if you have time

http://www.thistonybridge.com/2012/10/23/photo-ninja-raw-converter-review

In my use, there is one thing LR does better, CA removal. PN does a very good job, but LR is better, so occasionally I need to do it in LR after processing with PN.

If you are trying it, you need to spend some time to know it well and to get the best out of it. If you do, you will be hooked.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow