Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 11,510Gear list
Re: I am confused
In reply to bosjohn21, Apr 5, 2013

Bosjohn is of course correct.

One way I misspent my youth was to spend an inordinate amount of time in the Yale Political Union, which was based parliamentary debate as in the House of Commons and used America's Roberts Rules of Order.   For some of my friends this was training for the highest levels of all three branches of government, and not street photography.  :}

One thing we learned is that the Speaker, or chair, of a group kept his mouth shut as much as possible.   This role is very parallel to being a moderator of a discussion group, using the lightest, but smartest possible, hand to stay alert and keep the conversation flowing.   Some of my peers were orators or charismatic brilliance, a few became names you might have heard of.   But when they were in a moderator's position, they did not speak on debate topics, in more formal assemblies.  In less formal caucuses, the chairman/moderator would ostentatiously hand his gavel over to another person of lesser authority, if he wished to address the main topic of discussion (and generally it was best to avoid that.)  By handing over the gavel, he made it clear he was speaking in his personal capacity, as a diminished entity.

It takes great skill and discipline, and self-confidence, to embrace that form of leadership.  Exceptional people who were able to dazzle at the drop of a hat, had to learn the power, and respect, that comes from stepping into the background and keeping their mouth shut, except when necessary, and that necessity was in the service of the group they belonged to.

Those who did it well, earned tremendous respect from their peers.  There is a man who ran for president and became Secretary of State who today, if you mentioned the name of my mentor who died in 1965 at age 23, would bow his head in tribute.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow