D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,905Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!
In reply to Fayard, Apr 5, 2013

I don't have your camera and your lenses and I can't tell for sure. But my guess is that the placebo effect is really high for those finding differences in autofocus precision for *static* subjects.

Fair enough. My ONLY test for static subjects was with some sculptures that used to make the AF-C light flicker. Now it's steady.

But shooting people was a REAL problem. A mix of tungsten and window light resulted in common back or front focus. Now I have NONE. And I do mean none at all. I'm getting close to 100% AF hit ratio even in poor light using AF-S.

Naturally all of our cameras have subtle differences and the firmwares effect may indeed be different. But I don't think my friends and I have doubled our success rate overnight due to a placebo effect.

My D800 was an AF dog after the D3 and D700. It hunted and even worse, locked and then STILL missed, even on static stuff. For the first time I was nervous about shooting glass wide open. I had NO trouble getting great AF results with a 5DIII and 3Dx by the way.

Anyway....I'm really happy. My friend says he's ready to try the D800 for wedding work after the upgrade (he had stopped using it due to missing a 3rd of his shots and he's been at this for 30 years).

That's some placebo.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow