ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonny Mizen
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Beginner camera for Safari
Apr 4, 2013

Hi, 
I am looking to buy a camera for a 14 day safari through Kenya that I am going on next  as part of my zoology degree. Due to being a student, the expense of the trip and a beginner in photography, I do not wish to spend over £700 on one camera just yet. I would like to capture decent pictures but IQ is not the be all and end all. I have narrowed it down to two different cameras, the Pentax K-30 and the Fujifilm HS50EXR. 
The Pentax K-30 with the 18-55mm WR + 50-200mm WR lens kit is available here for under £700. 
The HS50EXR is available here for around £420, but I believe it may be cheaper elsewhere. 
I understand that one is a dslr and the other a superzoom and are completely different, but it is their differences that has really made me indecisive. 
Positives for K30 include; larger sensor, interchangeable lenses, weather sealing and the ability to use AA batteries as well as the lithium ion rechargeable ones. The latter two features really would be useful on the dusty planes. Taking into account the crop factor, is 200mm long enough for safari, or would I benefit from buying the body only and a longer lens, which would probably add up to more than £700.
The main positives for the HS50 is the focal length which sounds like it would be really good to capture the distant wildlife and the manual zoom, but the one thing that puts me off this camera is that it isn't weather sealed, I don't really want to run the risk of a damaged camera halfway through the trip from all the dust. The HS50 has a much larger focal length than the kit lenses, so I would probably capture more photographs. The autofocus seems to be very fast on the HS50, even at the long end. The HS50 is also cheaper, and I will not be able be able to afford a really long lens for the k-30 in the near future.

Both cameras will ease me into manual controls, and I'm relatively confident that I will get the hang of it. I am not sure if I would benefit from a larger focal length or better low light/IQ, weather sealing and the ability to use AA batteries?
My question really is, what camera do you think would be best for my safari trip? Baring In mind that the primary reason for the trip is to photograph the wildlife, and get some decent photos in the process. I am planning on purchasing the Olympus TG-2, along with the underwater housing and the FCON-t01 adapter for a diving trip in January, but will purchase each part when ever I have spare cash. Both that and one of the above cameras will hopefully last me a fair few years. Also If I went with the K30 I could always try digiscoping with the TG-2, as I'm sure people will bring along spotting scopes. 
I am leaning more towards the K-30 but any advice would be appreciated. Apologies for being very long winded.

ANSWER:
Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow