Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
m_appeal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
Re: Personally, I find that there is still way too much hunting
In reply to Just a Photographer, Apr 4, 2013

Just a Photographer wrote:

m_appeal wrote:

even with the firmware update when I'm shooting portraits at f1.4/f1.8 too many OOF shots... tried a few fast primes wide open (85 1.8 G, Sigma 35 1.4). Could be user error of course, but I don't think so.

Who shoots portraits at f1.4? Not very commonly used IMO as the DOF is often much too shallow to get the eye and nose both correctly in focus. Or contrast detection AF might find that hairline/face is a better choice over the eye. 
I think you make common mistakes by not knowing how contrast detection of the AF system works. Try using 1.8 to 2.2. with your primes. I do that most of the times and I'll do it for good reasons...

Not only 1.4 is often too shallow for good focussed portraits, but also you'll have much more chance of any fringing. Sharpness is never 100% wide open therefore prefer taking portraits a little stopped down from wide. And yes I do only use quality primes .

I don't like to shoot at f1.4, however if the light is crummy, you need it to maintain higher shutter speeds.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow